Routine dental cleanings are important to maintaining good oral hygiene.
Whether you have strong brushing and flossing habits, or struggle with oral hygiene, a professional cleaning by a hygienist helps everyone.
There are several steps we take to make sure you are in optimal oral health.
How it’s done:
The head and neck examination:
This consists of our dentists/hygienists doing the following:
- Examining your face and neck;
- Checking your lymph nodes; and
- Checking your lower jaw joints (TMJs).
The clinical dental examination:
This is when your dentist/hygienist assesses the state of your teeth and gums, looking for any issues or damage that may exist and completing a detailed inspection of the health of your mouth. They then give you a summary of your oral health and the necessary measures needed to improve your dental health to a more optimal level.
The dental cleaning:
During the final part of the dental visit, your hygienist cleans your mouth using these methods:
- Checking the cleanliness of your teeth and gums;
- Removing any plaque, tartar, and stains with several options to keep you comfortable;
- Polishing your teeth;
- Flossing between your teeth; and
- Reviewing recommended brushing and flossing techniques.
It is recommended you go in for a cleaning and an exam at least once every six months. Some patients need to come more frequently. This recommendation is based on your specific needs.